Independence Village (Texas City)
The Independence Village offers room & board to adults with developmental and/physical disabilities in a comfortable, supervised, family setting. We provide a safe home with private living quarters. Balanced meals and assistance as needed with daily responsibilities. We encourage independence and promote community integration by maintaining an active presence in the area, holding fundraisers and participating in area events.
Our privately funded non-profit residence cares for approximately Twenty five residents ranging in age from 20 to 70 years. Our residents are individuals with Down Syndrome, developmental disabilities, or brain injury who need minimal assistance in their daily living. Some of our residents are employed either part-time or full-time.
Although each individual has the opportunity and is encouraged to participate in the community in many ways, the place they call “home” is their Independence Village. The Village includes large suites with living rooms, spacious closets and built in chest of drawers, bathrooms designed for the physically challenged, as well as community areas including a large den and entertainment center. For over 20 years Independence Village staff members have provided a loving and caring home where a family atmosphere is encouraged and fostered. You are invited to visit us anytime and let us show you the comfort and hospitality at the Village. Call us to make an appointment : (409) 935-4335.
Resident Eligibility Requirement
Applicants for residence at Independence Village must:
• Be 18 years old or older
• Have a primary diagnosis of Developmental Disability, Down Syndrome,
and/or a Physical Disability.
• Be ambulatory (inclusive of self-mobility with adaptive equipment).
• Be able to actively participate in a day program (work, training, volunteering, etc).
• Be able to self-medicate with supervision.
• Be able to communicate needs and understand instruction.
• Be capable of accomplishing self-help tasks with minimal or no assistance.
• Be free of disease (communicable or otherwise contagious) which could endanger other residents.
• Be without mental health problems or any major emotional/behavior problems.
• Spacious Residential Suites
• Well Balanced Meals and Supplemental Snacks
• Limited Transportation
• Twenty-four hour Staffing to assist with everyday living needs
• Activities and Entertainment
• Most of all a loving, caring family environment